Student Finance

16-19 Bursary

16-19 Bursary Policy


A bursary is money that you can use to pay for things like:

  • clothing, books and other equipment for your course;
  • transport on days you study or train.

You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re aged 16 to 19

  • studying at a publicly funded school or college in England – not a university;
  • on a training course, including unpaid work experience;
  • meet residency requirements.

If you’re 19 and over you could also get a bursary (Discretionary only) if you either:

  • are continuing on a course you started aged 16 to 18 (known as being a ’19+ continuer’);
  • have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

What you’ll get

There are 2 types of 16 to 19 bursary:

  • a bursary for students in vulnerable groups
  • a discretionary bursary

Bursary for students in vulnerable groups

You could get a bursary worth up to £1,200 if at least one of the following applies:

  • you’re in or recently left local authority care
  • you get Income Support or Universal Credit because you’re financially supporting yourself
  • you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in your name and either Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit
  • you get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name and either ESA or Universal Credit

The amount you may get depends on the costs you have and what you need for your course. This might include money for books, equipment or travel costs to school.  Additional funding can be applied for to cover study trips or travel for university interviews.

You will need to provide evidence to confirm your eligibility such as a benefit letter.

Discretionary bursary

You could get a discretionary bursary if you need financial help but do not qualify for a bursary for students in vulnerable groups.

The Academy will decide how you get your bursary. You might get:

  • things like bus/metro fares, uniform costs or books
  • one-off payments to cover study trips or travel for university interviews.

All receipts are to be kept and handed in at Somerleyton Office

Travel only: costs will be paid in full via the cheapest form of transport, for any student where the annual household income is less than £26,000.  Students must live more than half a mile away from school.  Students must show evidence of relevant benefit or proof of household income and evidence of bank account details.

Students/Parents can also apply for free meal costs where the parent(s)/carer(s) are in receipt of any of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Pension Credit (Minimum Guarantee)
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
  • Child Tax Credit, provided they have an annual income, as assessed by the Inland Revenue that does not exceed £16,190. (Working Tax Credit is not eligible for free meal costs).

If you’re over 19, you’ll only be eligible for a discretionary bursary.

In assessing whether you are eligible for the discretionary bursary, we will need to consider your individual circumstances and will need to know your family income – the application form details the evidence you need to provide.


Apply using the application form.  Take care to fill in completely and to provide evidence if claiming the bursary for vulnerable students, and provide evidence of your family income.

To apply for either Bursary you will need to complete the attached application form and provide supporting evidence.

If you are applying for the Vulnerable Bursary then you only need to complete Part A of the application.  You will need to provide documentary evidence of your circumstances such as a letter from your Care Worker or proof of your entitlement to Income Support.

Travel costs will only be paid where the student has to travel more than half a mile to school.  All travel costs will be paid via bank transfer.

All evidence required in support of your application, must be completed and handed in at Somerleyton Office. If your circumstances change after this date, please see Mrs Smith about late applications. Evidence of relevant benefit should be no more than 2 months old with the exception of Child Tax Credit/Working Tax Credit where a full copy of the award notice for the current financial year needs to be provided.  Evidence should be supplied as photocopies.

Please note, in addition to the Bursary, you may also apply for Free School Meals for your son/daughter.

Incomplete applications cannot be processed and will be returned to the applicant.  Applicants will receive written correspondence confirming the outcome of their application.  If you have any questions about the outcome then please discuss with Mrs Smith to discuss your application.

Any change of details must be notified immediately to school, such as change of address/bank details.


Apply as soon as possible or apply if your circumstances change during the year meaning you are now eligible.  You will need to reapply for a bursary for each year of your course so in both Year 12 and Year 13.


Application forms are available from Somerleyton/ Briery office on request.


If your application is successful, payments will be made on a half termly basis, starting in late October, retrospectively, subject to full attendance (absences must be authorised), progress and conduct at school. Payments will be normally be made by BACS into the student’s own bank account. Payments must be covered by receipts that are kept on file. Bus or metro tickets also need to be kept. Cash payments cannot be made. If you leave school before completing your course your payments will be stopped.


Mrs Smith can help you decide if you’re eligible for a bursary and explain how to apply.


You might be able to get more support if your circumstances change or you have an emergency. Please speak to Mrs Smith if you need extra help.